Musings and Jottings on a Summer Adventure...


Thursday 2 August 2012

Day 11- Danby Wiske - Osmotherley

Another good day today-ish! The walk was a shorter one (13.5 miles) but towards the end my legs were flagging. I've gotten into an emotional groove of perseverance now each day-except it's gained such proportion that I feel loath to stop for more than a few minutes at a time-and dogged in desiring keeping going, even if at times it'd do me better to stop and rest.

So the last few miles-uphill through a windy forest-were fought with massive thirst and increasingly rigid legs! But the thought of the usual coffee-and in this case lunch- on arrival kept me going.

Also a lonely day-saw no one I knew for the second day running-though I was happy enough listening to music until my Blackberry started playing up bear the end of the walk...taking the battery out and putting it back in has fixed the problem though.

More than ever tonight, as I see the end in sight, I want to get to the end of this! Both because I'm tired, but also because the closer I get, the more in-reach the end becomes.

Going solo has increased feelings of isolation at times, but on the flip side aids a more focussed determination to keep going, even when part of you wants to stop!

But I was reflecting tonight that the C2C isn't perhaps as great an achievement as my ego would have me think...there are tougher, longer walks out there; my pack could be heavier, the comforts I've enjoyed much less. It puts it into perspective. I just plod on and do my daily mile allotment...

The Youth Hostel tonight is fine-and almost completely empty! I currently have an 8 bed room all to myself.

Winning-the-lottery moments...
-it was hot today!
-good soundtrack again today
-fixing the Blackberry
-Osmotherly pretty!
-finishing 'Catching Fire'-Hunger Games book 2-on to book 3 now!

Weakest-link moments...
-crossing two busy main roads and a railway today!
-painful aches
-broken blackberry
-boggy Yorkshire and muddy boots!

153.5 miles down...46.5 to go! Over 3/4s down-though the next three days I think will be harder...
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment